Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Report to multiple file (Oracle reports 6i)
icon5.gif  Report to multiple file [message #294825] Sat, 19 January 2008 14:10 Go to next message
zoltanp
Hi,

We've got many report which is generated to pdf.
These report are more than 200.000 pages.
Our customers asked us to put exactly 5000 pages
into one pdf file.
I make one of them in the following mode:
I put the cursor into forms and - with a data parameter(record group) - call the reports at every 5.000th records.

Have you got a better, less complicated idea?

Thanks,
Zoltán Patalenszki

Re: Report to multiple file [message #294993 is a reply to message #294825] Mon, 21 January 2008 02:05 Go to previous message
mihaiv
Zoltan,

If i wore you, i would do like this:

1. Get the request very clear, so to know exactly which is the limit for those 5000 pages. Based upon the regions, persons, incomes, invoices etc. that you will split your pdf into 5000.

2. Go to the database and add another column to your data model, something like ID_TO_BURST. Write some simple SQL that you will get all your data to generate all those 200.000 pages, and from 5 thousands to 5 thousands update the ID_TO_BURST: 1, 2, 3 ETC...

3. Go to Oracle Reports (assuming that you are using 10g), create your report, repeat it on ID_TO_BURST. Go to main, click on the outermost R_ID_TO_BURST, go to paper design and delete the frame.

4. Distribute the report to files on your local folder, ftp, whatever, and use for example: c:\temp\Report_&<ID_TO_BURST>.PDF

Result:
In c:\temp you will have: Report_1.PDF, Report_2.PDF etc., each PDF containing the 5000.

Hope it helps,
Michael
Previous Topic: Report directly to Printer
Next Topic: how to create matrix reports manually in reports 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 09:13:31 CDT 2024