Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » calling report from forms where report is in another folder
calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #269263] Fri, 21 September 2007 07:15 Go to next message
ShaShalini
Hi All

I am calling reports from a forms. All my form executables are in a particular folder and report in another folder.

e.g /d01/project/forms -- where forms are saved
/d01/project/reports -- where reports are saved.

When I am calling the reports I don't want to hardcode the path in the forms.

Any idea where I can set this path so that if tomorrow the report path changes in the server , I don't have to open all the forms and change the path ..

Hope am clear with my question

Thanks
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #269268 is a reply to message #269263] Fri, 21 September 2007 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soumen Kamilya

What is your developer version you did not mentioned.
You need to mention it for getting answer.

Cheers
Soumen
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #269648 is a reply to message #269268] Mon, 24 September 2007 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaShalini
Hi

I am using Oracle Developper suite 10g and Application server 10g AS and Oracle Database 10g. For forms we have specified the path in the FORMS_PATH variable in formsweb.cfg . But where to specify path for reports !!!

Thanks
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #269651 is a reply to message #269648] Mon, 24 September 2007 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
REPORTS_PATH is to be set in Windows registry (if your operating system is MS Windows), or - create an environment variable with the same name (regardless of the operating system).
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #269703 is a reply to message #269651] Mon, 24 September 2007 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaShalini
This Environment variable will solve the problem only if all the reports are in the same folder.

I have 2 projects .. and for each project I have got a different instances.

Now for project 1 the reports will be saved in
e.g /d01/prj1/reports
and for project 2 the reports wil be saved in /d01/prj2/reports.

And I don't want to keep the folder name in a field in some table .. This will be the last option ..

Thanks
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #270001 is a reply to message #269703] Tue, 25 September 2007 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Form-Al-Dehide
Hi there,

I don't understand why you cannot modify the environment file (default.env or <module name>.env) and stipulate the Reports Path in there.

We had a tricky situation where reports that were common to multiple applications were stored in two locations and nowhere near the Form executables.

What we crafted the REPORTS_PATH in the environment file to start searching for a Report in the application-specific folder first, and if it did not find it there then it then searched a whole series of other folders for the Report.

Works like a dream and has never failed.

So, the sequence is:-

1) Check your formsweb.cfg again
2) Check your environment file (default.env) and add it in there
3) Modify your registry setting for REPORTS_PATH, (or environment file on Unix. etc.)
4) Hard-code it in to the Form (last resort and bad practice)

Hope you can get some value out of this...

Al
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #270197 is a reply to message #269263] Wed, 26 September 2007 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaShalini
Hi

Can you tell me how to get the value of the Environment variable in my Forms.

If I specify REPORTH_PATH=/d01/prj1/reports

I want to get the value of Report path in my forms so that I can call the report.

Thanks
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #270341 is a reply to message #270197] Wed, 26 September 2007 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soumen Kamilya

If you specify the path in REPORTS_PATH then there is no need to retrieve the path.
Just call the report only with it's name and it will automatically redirected(and will find the report) to that source path what is mentioned in REPORTS_PATH.

Cheers
Soumen
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #270450 is a reply to message #270341] Wed, 26 September 2007 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Form-Al-Dehide
Hi,

One other thing to check is that the full path to the report file has been removed in the Report Object properties in Object Navigator.

It should just show the report object name (e.g. reportname.rdf) and not show the full path. This needs to be done for all reports.

On a side note, if you are migrating from say, Forms 5 to 10g, you need to create the Report Objects for each report and this is when the full path can unwittingly sneak its way in and mess things up.

Also, if I remember rghtly, if the full path is in the Properties it will override any other setting.

Al
Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #271575 is a reply to message #269263] Tue, 02 October 2007 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaShalini
Hi

I have already added the REPORT_PATH in the default.env file and I have removed the full path in the forms -> report properties. But am still having problem . Unable to run report ..

Any help

Re: calling report from forms where report is in another folder [message #271757 is a reply to message #271575] Tue, 02 October 2007 16:00 Go to previous message
linlasj
Hi,
To my knowledge there is REPORTS_PATH in the Reports Server configuration file as well. Where Reports Server is looking for reports. Located somewhere in the $ORACLE_HOME/reports/conf-directory. Maybe there is some error in there.

Best Regards,
Lars

[Updated on: Tue, 02 October 2007 16:01]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: REP-0999 Unimplemented Error - Reports 6.0.8.26.0
Next Topic: string convertion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 11:46:44 CDT 2024