Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » reducing the column size
reducing the column size [message #260851] Tue, 21 August 2007 02:11 Go to next message
brintha
hai all,
can we reduce the size of the column(field and label) dynamically? I want to reduce the column spacing if the object is made invisible(false) in format triggers depending on the parameters passed. and i used anchors to link the text field with a dummy field which is comparitively smaller in size and made its property to collapse vertically.

The child field is replacing the parent field. But the label is left as it is.... so space is still left out in the middle of the report. I want the label to be reduced to the size of the child field i anchored with the parent. please help me out in solving this issue.

regards,
brintha.r.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 August 2007 02:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: reducing the column size [message #260866 is a reply to message #260851] Tue, 21 August 2007 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Did you try to create labels as "fields" (instead of the way we usually do it - as ... well, labels)?

It would require another query; if "main" query was
SELECT deptno, dname, loc
FROM dept
your "label" query would be
SELECT 'Dept. number' lab_deptno, 'Dept. name' lab_dname, 'Location' lab_loc
FROM dual
Once labels are "fields", you might do the same thing you already did and explained in your previous post.
Re: reducing the column size [message #261567 is a reply to message #260866] Thu, 23 August 2007 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brintha
LittleFoot,
Thanks for ur reply. But i solved the issue of dynamically selecting columns without using anchors. I used Triggers to hide the data. And im able to get the space hidden by changing the property of frame, field and label.
Im giving what i did to make this work...

field & label :

vertical elasticity: variable
horizontal elasticity: expand

frame containing label:
vertical elasticity: fixed
horizontal elasticity: contract.

I saw the report u sent to dynamically select the columns.
But i couldn't understand the meaning of one expression.

in format triggers:
rerurn(p_var = 'Y')

how does it work? I dont remember the variable name. But i think you know what i mean... Could u please expalin that.

Regards,
Brintha.r
Re: reducing the column size [message #261664 is a reply to message #261567] Thu, 23 August 2007 05:08 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you managed to solve the problem.

RETURN (p_var = 'Y')
is, actually, this:
IF p_var = 'Y' THEN
   RETURN (TRUE);
ELSE
   RETURN (FALSE);
END IF;
So, if p_var is anything but 'Y', it would return FALSE. I have shortened it to save some disk space /forum/fa/917/0/ Just kidding!

Previous Topic: Remove the column space dynamically.
Next Topic: Format of number
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 12:15:45 CDT 2024