Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF
Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #249083] Tue, 03 July 2007 05:43 Go to next message
sssutha
I have an Oracle custom built application which is using a very old version Oracle Reports that uses the RPT/RPF format. These reports use text-based report definition files (as opposed to binary definition files used by the RDF format). These reports generate character-based outputs that are eventually printed in PDF format. I have not been able to find any tool that can take these reports to any of the newer version of Oracle Reports (RDF format).

Ideally the tool should be capable of automatically migrating these RPT files all the way to Oracle 10gR2 Reports Services. But any tools that can move these reports even to an earlier version (e.g., 6i) should help as well. I have explored a tool called ORMIT for this purpose but that tool does not support this specific version of RPT files.

Do you know of any tool which can assist to migrate RPT/RPF format to RDF format?
Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #263327 is a reply to message #249083] Wed, 29 August 2007 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gvth
Hi,

I have some 200 RPT/RPF reports on a 7.3.4 database.Used for reporting manufacturing execution systems reports.
I am currently looking to convert them to a 10gr2.

I have decided to port them to plsql.
I have written an excel with vba code who translates RPT files into plsql and produces the same RPF output file.
At the moment in testing phase , but seems to become ok.

We also have a C-program to interprete the rpf and produce text formatted output or even postscript files, because we extended the rpt with some additional "commands" to choose font, lines,....

Maybe this is a hint to you.

regards
geert
icon7.gif  Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #263819 is a reply to message #249083] Fri, 31 August 2007 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bsgill88
We can offer our RPT to PL/SQL Stored Procedure Conversion & Migration Service using our LB*RPT -> PL/SQL Parser tool to assist you with the conversion.

To date, there is NO tool that can convert RPT to the new Oracle Reports RDF format.

This is the BEST Solution for you to produce PL/SQL Stored Procedures that will produce the same results as the output of the original reports. In fact, with an HTML Output, you could also include HTML Tags, CSS, etc, to provide for further customization. We can also integrate with a cheap 3rd Party tool to send output directly to designated printers for confidential/private reports. We will also provide a sample Oracle Forms application that will show you the integration between Forms, the Application Server, and the PL/SQL Stored Procedure to be called.

We have done this for a client in Malaysia who was very satisfied with the final outcome, and we would be happy to provide a quotation to you if you wish to pursue with this option on discussion with your management.

For more details, please visit http://www.longbridge.biz/innovations.htm

We are also based in Brisbane, besides having an office in Malaysia. Kindly contact me for a further discussion.
Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #264486 is a reply to message #263327] Mon, 03 September 2007 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mcshahmct
Dear Geert

Can you send us the tool . We also have the similar rquirements

thaks

Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #264494 is a reply to message #264486] Mon, 03 September 2007 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ummm ... I don't think he'll send it for free. As far as I understood, it is a commercial product and you'll have to pay for it.
Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #264546 is a reply to message #249083] Mon, 03 September 2007 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gvth
The tool i have written is not at all commercial, i wrote for my own because i needed it and i wanted to keep the "extensions" possible. But of course it is not a tool you can use directly as it is, you have to know some background or adjust to personal needs.
I will prepare some samples, also regarding the postcript post-interpreter and his functions. The post-interpreter is written in Pro*c because we added some functions who needed info of the database, but you could easily change it to a C-program, with no need to access a database.
So, no money needed but forbidden for commercial use.

Geert
Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #264569 is a reply to message #264546] Mon, 03 September 2007 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It seems that I was completely wrong about it. I apologize to both mcshahmct and Geert.
Re: Oracle Report Migration from RPT/RPF to RDF [message #269872 is a reply to message #264546] Mon, 24 September 2007 23:12 Go to previous message
sbhuvana_raj
hi geert ,

could you kindly share the conversion tool with me ?

Bhuvana
Previous Topic: How to set org context in discoverer plus
Next Topic: report layout....PROBLEM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 11:46:30 CDT 2024