Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Compound Trigger (Oracle 11g, Windows NT)
Compound Trigger [message #649345] Wed, 23 March 2016 03:28 Go to next message
pstanand
Hi,
I have the following material table. In which I have a trigger which when updating the material_group,it checks in the same table whether the material_group is available in the set of material_groups('AL','BXU','CM'). If the material_group is available in the set then it delete that record from the table. If the material_group is not available in the given set and it is new then it allows to update. The available trigger is migrated from SQL server and in oracle it is looks like below.
This trigger throws mutating error. Kindly help me to alter the trigger.

Existing trigger that is migrated from SQL Server code:

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER UPD_MAT
BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON material
FOR EACH ROW

BEGIN
IF (:NEW.material_group IS NOT NULL)
THEN
BEGIN
DELETE material
WHERE :NEW.material_num IN (SELECT :NEW.material_num
FROM material
WHERE material_group IN ( 'AL','BXU','CM'));

END;
END IF;
END UPD_MAT;

Table Material Structure

MATERIAL_NUM VARCHAR2(18)NOT NULL
CODE VARCHAR2(20)
MATERIAL_GROUP VARCHAR2(5)

Thanks and Regards
pstanand.
Re: Compound Trigger [message #649347 is a reply to message #649345] Wed, 23 March 2016 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
What you are trying to do is logically impossible. Consider the situation where your INSERT or UPDATE statement affects several rows. In that case this,
DELETE material
WHERE :NEW.material_num IN (SELECT :NEW.material_num 
FROM material
WHERE material_group IN ( 'AL','BXU','CM'));

cannot see a consistent version of the table, because it runs per row, not for the whole row set.

I think you probably want to throw out the trigger, and use a MERGE statement rather than INSERTs and UPDATEs.

Generally speaking, any use of triggers to enforce business logic is questionable. Avoid them if you can.
Re: Compound Trigger [message #649349 is a reply to message #649347] Wed, 23 March 2016 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pstanand
Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. In such case can I go with the following merge statement?

MERGE INTO material a
USING material b
ON (a.material_num = b.material_num)
WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN
UPDATE SET a.material_group = b.material_group;
WHEN MATCHED THEN
DELETE FROM material WHERE a.material_num = <material_num>
Kindly correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here.

Thanks

pstanand
Re: Compound Trigger [message #649352 is a reply to message #649349] Wed, 23 March 2016 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
That is nonsense. You have to think about what you are doing. Or don't SQL Server developers need to do that? Smile

Merge will merge two row sources into one. What are the row sources you are considering?
Re: Compound Trigger [message #649354 is a reply to message #649349] Wed, 23 March 2016 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Provide a test case. It will significantly help with the communication of both the issue and the solution.
Re: Compound Trigger [message #649384 is a reply to message #649354] Wed, 23 March 2016 15:16 Go to previous message
Bill B
You can do this my using a before statement trigger, A on row after trigger, and an after statement trigger using a table array in a package specification.

However, I strongly urge you to use a simple merge command. The oracle merge command is available in Oracle 9i and above. See the following link to see instructions on using it.

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SQLRF/statements_9016.htm#SQLRF01606
Previous Topic: compare performance
Next Topic: Update without cursor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 15:41:53 CDT 2024