Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Query to find all records with either same value or null value
Query to find all records with either same value or null value [message #648549] Thu, 25 February 2016 04:16 Go to next message
ranugupta3
I Need to find all records from a table of zip code having zip_code, City and Country code
Now my requirement is to find all records with same zip_code . At the same time the City of These zip_codes can be either all same or null.

my sample data is

zip_code zip_city
1234 abc
1234 abc
1234 null
1567 def
1567 fgh
3456 efg
3456 efg

Output desired :
zip_code zip_city
1234 abc
Re: Query to find all records with either same value or null value [message #648551 is a reply to message #648549] Thu, 25 February 2016 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Welcome to the forum.
Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.
Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals.

With any SQL or PL/SQL question, please, Post a working Test case: create table (including all constraints) and insert statements along with the result you want with these data then we will be able work with your table and data. Explain with words and sentences the rules that lead to this result.

We don't do homework but we can help you, so post what you have already tried and explain where you are stuck.

Hints: GROUP BY, COUNT will help you.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 February 2016 05:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Query to find all records with either same value or null value [message #648553 is a reply to message #648551] Thu, 25 February 2016 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ranugupta3

My Problem : it gives records with same zip_code and zip_city also. I want only those records with same code and City either same or null. But in one record it has to be null.
For example in my sample data above. my code Piece with return "3456 efg" also but thats not my requirement.

Below is my code Piece :
SELECT zz.zip_zip
,zz.zip_city
,zz.id_seq_zip
FROM tzip zz
WHERE zz.zip_zip IN (SELECT a.zip_zip
FROM (SELECT z.zip_zip
,z.zip_city
,COUNT(z.zip_zip)
FROM tzip z
GROUP BY z.zip_zip
,z.zip_city
HAVING(COUNT(*) > 1)) a)
ORDER BY 1

[Updated on: Thu, 25 February 2016 06:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Query to find all records with either same value or null value [message #648554 is a reply to message #648553] Thu, 25 February 2016 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 25 February 2016 12:10
Welcome to the forum.
Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.
Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals.

With any SQL or PL/SQL question, please, Post a working Test case: create table (including all constraints) and insert statements along with the result you want with these data then we will be able work with your table and data.
Explain with words and sentences the rules that lead to this result.

We don't do homework but we can help you, so post what you have already tried and explain where you are stuck.

Hints: GROUP BY, COUNT will help you.

Re: Query to find all records with either same value or null value [message #648558 is a reply to message #648554] Thu, 25 February 2016 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Received in PM:

ranugupta3 wrote on Thu, 25 February 2016 13:47
Hallo Michel,
I dont understand what more Information should i post for my question.
I can't give the create table Syntax as it might be a breach to my Company policy.

Also i gave my code Piece. what more is needed from my end?

Thanks & Regards,
Ranu

Where is the breach in your company policy to give a CREATE TABLE for a table with zip_code and zip_city?
Where is the breach in your company policy to give INSERT statements for 1234, abc and so on?

The other information needed are in my posts.
And FORMAT your posts, this can't be a breach in your company policy.

Re: Query to find all records with either same value or null value [message #648561 is a reply to message #648558] Thu, 25 February 2016 08:36 Go to previous message
varlamovvp
hint:
 more readable code 

SELECT
   zz.*
FROM tzip zz
WHERE zz.zip_zip IN (
  SELECT z.zip_zip
   FROM tzip z
   WHERE z.zip_city IS NULL
   )
  AND zz.zip_city IS NOT NULL